Linear misalignment happens more than most engineers realize:
- Misalignment can be a key reason for early product failure.
- Life calculations do not account for improper alignment.
- During the design phase, it’s important to consider the application, how installation will occur, and if it’s likely misalignment will be introduced.
- Based on all the above and the unknown it can be difficult to determine which linear product will perform the best.
Typically, the more rigid a linear solution is, the higher the quality of the mounting surface is needed. Poor mounting surfaces like welded frames and structural materials will require extra clearance on the linear product. Additionally, the higher the accuracy required of the linear solution, the less allowable are deviations between rails and mounting surfaces.
That is why LEE Linear offers products that can simplify system design, offering integrated products that incorporate built in alignment. The advantages of a self aligning system are:
- They greatly simplifies engineering design.
- They uses less material and can increase system life.
- Using self aligning components makes for a faster total assembly time.
- They reduce the overall system cost of the linear application.